SSS Unemployment Benefit During COVID19 Outbreak: Who is Qualified and How to Claim
If a worker has recently lost his job during the implementation of Luzon’s enhanced community quarantine, you may be qualified to apply for SSS’ Unemployment Benefit. All you need to do is check if you have all the other requirements before you file to claim the benefit.
The unemployment benefit is also known as the Unemployment Insurance or Involuntary Separation Benefit which provides a cash benefit to qualified employees including:
- Household helpers
However, the employee must be involuntarily separated from employment because of downsizing, cessation of operation, closure, etc. The employee must also be:
- Not over 60 years old at the time of separation
- 50 years old and below for surface or underground mineworkers
- 55 years old and below for racehorse jockeys
- Is a paying member of SSS for at least 3 years or 36 months
- 12 months of the 3 years mentioned should be in the 18th month period immediately preceding the involuntary separation month.
It is also important to note that an employee will not be qualified if they have been involuntarily separated for the following reasons:
- Serious misconduct
- Willful disobedience to lawful orders
- Gross and habitual neglect of duties
- Fraud or willful breach of trust/loss of confidence
- Commission of a crime or offense
- Analogous cases like abandonment, gross inefficiency, conflict of interest/disloyalty/dishonesty
How much will an employee get from the unemployment benefit if they are qualified?
A qualified employee can be granted the amount equivalent to 2x the half of their average monthly salary credit. It will be given in full by SSS, given that it is filed within one year from the date of separation.
Documents required to avail SSS unemployment benefit
- Original and a photocopy of a valid ID (UMID, SS Card, Alien Certificate of Registration, Driver’s license, Firearm Registration, License to own possess firearms, NBI clearance, passport, permit to carry firearms outside of residence, postal identity card, seafarer’s identification and record’s book, and voter’s ID.
- Certification from DOLE or POLO for OFW’s
Once the application for the program is processed, SSS will send the cash assistance via the member’s SSS UMID card or UBP Quick Card account.
For more details, please contact SSS via email@example.com.